Saturday 9 April 2011

Day 1 - The Beginning

I suppose I've wanted to write a book or something similar for a while now, it's sort of a bucket list thing but I don't really have a bucket list. 
I would like to go the British Grand Pr ix at some point but that's about it really at the moment.
Really didn't sleep well last night and during my monotonous early hours of this morning decided to do this, write this blog and write a new entry each day for the next year. Will people bother to follow me, who knows?


As a family we will be undertaking a life changing journey a bit later this year and I guess it'll be nice to look back in a years time and read this stuff again.
So my obvious question to myself would be,"what qualifies me to keep you entertained everyday for the next year"? 
Well nothing really, I suppose I have a interesting'ish life story which I'll probably get into a bit later into the year but I'm not exactly Richard Branson or Alan Sugar. I suppose I'm your pretty typical aspirational middle aged male, wanting the best for the people round me, like you facing the daily challenges that life chucks at us and like our parents before us trying to cope with the never ending advance in technology.
So what makes me a blogger? Dunno, there is a line of journalists in our family so I suppose writing is in my blood (sort of). Up until about an hour ago I had no idea how the whole thing worked and am now amazed how simple it is and of course best of all its free. The blurb on the various "how to" pages says i should try and keep it interesting, try and stay away from local lingo and try and not give out too much detail about personal life...so....if anyone out there actually reads this I would appreciate any other advice that you may have.
Right, into the detail!
We live in Amanzimtoti - now if you don't know where this is you should try keep it that way. "Toti" as its known locally is also known as Amanzimtexas! Odd town about 25 km south of Durban (which is on the East Coast of South Africa), Toti has no real claim to fame, locally its a bit of a downmarket holiday destination affordable to people who can't afford to go anywhere nice. I can say this now but up until recently traded businesses in this town and for comments like these the red necks would have had a bit to say...but more about them later!
There are some pretty good people here too but generally the town suffers from small town syndrome, you know  the sort of town where everyone knows every one's business and if they don't then they make it up anyway!
I grew up here and I came back here. It seemed like a good decision at the time. I was away for 10 years and just about nothing changed. I've been back now for 10 years too. The last 10 years has seem some dramatic changes in the town - most of it driven by greed and money unfortunately, but hey, call me old fashioned. Toti people lay claim to a close community, but in my opinion, the absolute opposite is true. But anyway this is not about Amanzimtoti, but it will be the central theme in this blog for a while.


So that's today. It's still morning here so not much has happened yet. What does the day ahead bring? Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment